Level Crossing Protection Equipment
The level crossing equipment is designed to meet the requirements of safety and reliability from railway signalling standards.
- Power supply with back-up battery bank and charger operating from 220V AC.
- Relay control elements are either of railway specification safety type relays or of good quality industrial type relays, depending on specific requirements.
- The barrier operating machines are electro hydraulic operated and are housed in a weather proof metal enclosure with lockable access doors; operational voltage to customer’s requirements.
- The barriers are of round or square profile aluminium, available in lengths up to 8m.
- Audible alarms are either bells or sirens with a 500m range.
- Warning flashlights or road signals are fitted with incandescent lamps and red lenses.
- The road signals are equipped with Saint Andrew crosses appropriate to the specific crossing requirements.
- Train detection by track circuits or by a combination of one-level crossing track circuit and rail treadle at both left and right extremities.
- The system operation is available in pure auto, semi-automatic, or manual mode depending on customer requirements.
- The barrier-operating machines are designed and manufactured in South Africa to comply with strict fail-safe level crossing protection requirements.
- These machines are electro-hydraulic operated and are housed in a foundation mounted weather proof metal enclosure with lockable access doors.
- The barrier arms are factory-set to operate from horizontal to vertical in nine seconds.
- This time period may be varied through a simple adjustment, which can be carried out on site.
The following features are part of this machine:
- ‘Raised’ and ‘Lowered’ detection via two cam-operated limit switches. One limit switch is set to detect the raised position between 83~ and 900 from the horizontal, while the other switch is set to detect the lowered position between 00 and 70 from horizontal.
- The beam drops away to horizontal by gravity. A manually operated mechanical lockout facility is provided to hold the arm in the vertical position.
- An adjustable spring stop is provided for damping the barrier arm and to ensure that the barrier arm is not elevated beyond the maximum angle of 9Q0 from the horizontal. It also serves to initially assist the gravitational bias when the boom is lowered.
- Barrier booms are of round or square profile aluminium and are available in lengths of 5,5 m, with a built-in shear point to protect the operating mechanism in case any excessive force is exerted against the boom.
Standard motors supplied with the mechanism are available in all the standard motor voltages, both AC and DC.