Style 63 Conversion Kit
The conversion kit is an ACTOM Transport design and manufactured in South Africa. The mechanism replaces the BR type circuit controller, used on the style 63 points machine.
- Mild steel carriage plate (electroplated)
- Limit switches (lock and blade detection)
- Snap action limit switch (motor cut-off and snubbing activation)
- All limit switches are high quality, with wipe action contacts completely enclosed within switches
- Nylon gear (matches nylon rack on drive slide)
- Shaft (complete with operating cams)
- Wire loom (standard four-wire detection and motor control)
- Alternate detection circuit looms available
- Terminal blocks (termination points for incoming power and detection cables)
- Stand-off hexagon support spacers to fit conversion kit to standard fixing points provided for BR type controller (electroplated)
- Lid label
Incorporated into the design of the conversion kit is provision for the use of the solid state AC or DC snubbing units for:
- Regenerative braking at end of stroke (DC machines)
- Electromagnetic braking (AC machines).
- Style 63 Conversion Kit
- Specify machine voltage (110 V DC or380V AC).
- Friction operated pendulum cut switch on motor eliminated
- Greatly increased reliability together with corresponding reduction in maintenance requirements
- Use of snap action cut-out switches eliminates costly and complex beryllium copper
- Contact arrangements used on the BR circuit controller (eliminating problematic setting up and maintenance requirements associated with copper arrangements)
- Mild steel carriage does away with expensive Bakelite carriage mouldings with brass bush inserts, whilst the robust mild steel carriage construction eliminates the Bakelite carriage’s susceptibility to fracturing
- End bearings made of Vesconite self-lubricating material; excessive wear, previously experienced with brass bushes due to spring pressure of the copper contacts, has been greatly reduced
- Overall compact dimensions incorporating standard commercially available switches
- Totally enclosed switches increasing reliability through protection against corrosion and the ingress of dirt and dust contamination
- The wiring harness of the conversion kit is provided to incorporate the use of solid state snubbing as a standard (but other arrangements can be made on request)
- One-year guarantee.
Note: the above snubbing units are not supplied with the kit, but are ordered separately.
- The pendulum cut out switch is removed from the DC motor and the wiring is terminated on a terminal block located on the motor housing in the area of the pendulum switch.
- A solid-state snubbing unit is fitted to the escapement crank top plate in the desired position.
- The conversion kit, which uses a drive gear similar to the BR circuit controller, can now be fitted using the installation and set-up technique as applied to fitting the BR circuit controller.
- Terminate incoming control wires onto terminal blocks, provided with the conversion kit.
Style C1H MKII
The style Cl H Mkll (electro-hydraulic) points machine was designed to provide positive locking of the blades along with the function of trailability. Designed and manufactured in South Africa it is jointly owned by ALSTOM Transport and Spoornet.
The points operating sequence is:
- Closed blade unlocks
- Detection contacts break
- Points operate to opposite setting
- Closed blade locks
- Detection contacts make
- Drive slide is positively held in position in the case of hydraulic pressure failure
- The operation can be interrupted or reversed at any time.
- During a run through situation, the flange of the first wheel attempts to force the open blade closed.
- The hydraulic fluid in the system resists this force.
- When the factory set pressure is exceeded, a hydraulic valve opens allowing the open blade to be forced closed, unlocking the closed blade, thus allowing the points to be trailed.
- Detection is broken providing an indication that the points were trailed.
- Operation of the points will reset detection.
- Emergency manual operation of the machine is via a standard crank-handle.
- The handle couples directly to the motor shaft.
- Rotation in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction determines the direction of manual operation.
The major components of the style Cl H points machine are the:
- Electric motor
- Hydraulic pump
- Control valves
- Operating cylinder
- Rail mounted points lock
- Detection limit switches
- Drive slide, lock and detection
- Housing and covers.
The style Cl H Mkll can be used to operate:
- Single slip
- Double slip
- The rail mounted points locks can be used in conjunction with self-normalising points, hand tumbler and points indicators.
Style Cl H Mkll technical data:
- Motor 380 3 phase AC 50 Hz
- 220 V AC 50 Hz
- II0 V DC
- 24 V DC
- 48 V DC
- Throwing force 3 kN to 8,8 kN depending on application
- Stroke Operating cylinder – 250 mm
- Various blade openings can be accommodated
- Running current 380 V 3phase AC: 2,2 amp
- II0 V DC: 5,2 amp
- 220 V AC: 3,6 amp
- Weight Hydraulic unit: 45 kg
- Rail mounted points lock: 30 kg each
- Environmental conditions 36 to +80 degrees Celsius
Style B1 Switchmatic
- The Switchmatic B1 points machine meets the general requirements of BS specification 581 and SATS no CSE 17A.
- Operates switches whether or not a drive to the heel is required
- Operates a moveable frog and derailer
- Operates switches that require a separate drive to a facing point lock and detector.
- The motor shaft drive operates a ball screw whose effort is converted into linear motion.
- The ball screw engages a drive slide, which operates an escapement crank and the final throw bar.
- Two lock dogs fixed to the drive slide pass through corresponding ports in lock blades, locking the points’ switch blades.
- Large forces transmitted from a ‘run-through’ are contained by the throw bar, escapement crank and thrust block.
- This causes the ground rod connections to deform, thus absorbing the shock and protecting the points machine from damage.
- For manual operation, provision is made at one end for the insertion of a crank handle.
The standard points machine may be supplied with one of two motor options:
- AC 3-phase induction motor
- DC split-field series motor
AC motor operation:
- After the points lock is engaged, an electromagnetic brake is activated.
- When a crank handle is inserted for manual points operation a switch prevents power reaching the motor.
DC motor operation:
- The drive slide reaches a position at which the points lock is engaged.
- The motor control switch then interrupts power to the motor and triggers the snubbing circuit to stop the motor.
The limit switches are fail-safe.
- Maximum thrust at throw bar: 6,5 kN
- Operating time at 330 kg load: 2,7 seconds
- Operating time at 660 kg load: 3,4 seconds
- Machine mass: 275 kg
- Throw bar stroke: 140 mm.
- AC points machine
- Nominal supply voltage: 380 V 3-phase AC motor power 550 W
DC points machine:
Nominal supply voltage:ll0 V DC motor power-550W.
Note: Machines with other motor voltages can be supplied, available by arrangement.